Sunday, November 29, 2009

less is more

Fashion, Style, Trend, at times it all just gets too complicated, there is no segment of retail more complicated and frustrating than women's ready to wear... and I've paid my dues. It is an unfortunate fact that in the display industry Women's wear is considered to be highest level one can achieve, it is the Valhalla of all display disciplines. One can only hope to achieve perceived greatness in display by being employed by a local women's style maven, which may lead to even greater fame by being employed by a designer or retailer of national renown. The big stumbling block in this route to fame and fortune are with rare exception are the clients one must learn to deal with. I've worked with many and by in large found them to be selfish, spoiled, insecure and petty, [the dark side of the fabulous fashion industry] or worse, processed of the illusion that they are artists. Over the years I found myself preferring men's wear, home, auto, anything but women's wear. I think that my advancing age might also be a factor,I just am longer as patient as I once was, and less inclined bow to fashion du jour [or a retailers] every whim. "The Devil Wears Prada", was the clearest most concise representation of the down side of fashion ever documented. I am fortunate to have among my longest standing clients the exception to the majority of my experience "Annie Prue" Annie and daughter Stephanie are my favorite women's retailers. Annie is one of the very rare clear thinking retailers who can look past the latest trend to find lasting style. She has an eye for quality and longevity in the selections she makes for her store. Annie is the embodiment of the old rule; "a well dressed woman never wears more than 7 items, counting both shoes". I find it amusing that in this "post excess" period of recession the simplicity espoused by A.P. for many years is at the forefront of fashion again. Stephanie has brought to their partnership a more youthful take on Annie's classic choices bringing a new clientele who appreciate clean, modern, unpretentious dressing. This is the third interior I've done for them and my favorite to date. Just like their philosophy in apparel I tried create a clear simple straight forward approach to display of their goods. To invoke the old adage again "Less is More"



No comments:

Post a Comment