Saturday, October 3, 2009

I have worked for 35 years for a formal wear shop. Throughout my long association I have seen a number of formal neck wear trends, first it was the cross tie those little flat things with a pin in the center, [think Bill Haley and the Comets] Next was the Edwardian Carnaby street those BIG velvet bows worn with "puffy shirts". Which gave way to the Johnny Carson look, the propeller like butterfly bow, Then a brief moment of sanity the conventional although 'pre-tied" bow worn with wing collars, [think 80s waiters]. The 90s gave us western string ties and band collared [Nehru] shirts with Versace knock-off button covers that slipped on to the button, that was a tough one to like. The last 10 years we have suffered the long tie that turned the tuxedo into a pall bearers uniform. The latest d'riguer in neck wear is the ascot..I really wonder is straight American men will embrace this one. The ascot bears heavy identification with the likes of Hugh Hefner and George Hamilton, not to mention stereotyped 60s closeted men like those in "The Boys in the Band". A few weeks ago as changing their window display into the fall mode when I was handed a group of ascots. All I could do is laugh.. What are these? I asked in my best Dawn Davenport voice. "the latest thing" was the reply..so where are the Gucci loafers to go with them?..I think Ive been at this too long, at times it is difficult to approach new items with an open mind. I constantly remind myself that time marches on and there are plenty of younger customers who have no knowledge of the ascots previous lives. Before writing this entry I hit Google image and sure enough up came Brad, in an ascot tied scarf, how perfect and how lucky he is to have a stylist who is 20 years younger then him to keep him au courant.

1 comment:

  1. Great Article...don't forget that only about 5-7 years ago men wearing formal had decided to use those awful jeweled buttons on their shirts instead of a traditional tie. It was the Michael Jackson fashion fallout or something. Men dressing like that are already regretting the wedding photos that were taken at those events. Remember, photos are forever-or until your wife leaves with them.

    ReplyDelete