Monday, September 28, 2009

too early

I just read an article about a retail firm in Canada that decided to mount Christmas last month. The result was not what they expected...I understand the motive,this has been the worse year ever but they should have known what would happen. I have worked for a retail luggage outfit for almost 20 years, we used to have 7 stores, before the collapse. Seven stores to make ready for Christmas is a load, so I started to merchandise right after Halloween, to be finished by Thanksgiving [and remember I have 6 others who all want to be ready in time]. Every single time I had to suffer the disdainful looks and verbal abuse of those who thought I was starting too early. My reply was always the same,"Speak to management" which never seemed to make them any less disapproving. I must admit that I agree with them, to a degree, and frankly if there is anyone who should dislike Christmas its me.The burned out lights, the shedding garlands, the glitter in my eyes, the 12 foot ladders, believe me I am anything but cheery in November. There is an old saying, "Make hay while the sun shines" at one time I used to make plenty of hay during the holiday season, so I would tough it out, but those days are gone. Christmas has become so exploited and overblown that it can't help but be disappointing. We have raised the bar on greed so high that the holiday is a anticlimax.This years sales figures will certainly break no records so I think this year we should cancel it all together, give it a rest for a year, then maybe we would miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment