Tuesday, September 22, 2009

my purpose for being here


The intent of this blog is to share my experience and thoughts however great or tragic on retail. Starting with my paper route and a bicycle to the present [and into the future, if there is a future in retail ]. The current economic conditions are a factor in my decision to share my knowledge. I would like to pass on my experience from a past retail world before the memory of how to "Keep Shop" disappears completely or falls deeper into corporate parody. I am dismayed at the proliferation of "Big Box" retailers who have all but destroyed our local retail identities. I am even more appalled at the current trend to replace shopping malls with artificial "Main Street" mixed use travesties posing as town centers all populated with national chains, while small town retail streets languish and are forced to gentrify and become, gift, card, antique and ice cream "Walk and Eats". Where are the hardware, stationery, news stands, grocers and army navy stores which used to be every towns mainstay. Local shops have fallen prey developers high rents and our increasingly media driven madness to acquire the latest, the biggest and a whole array of items we do not need. I intend to use this forum to educate, entertain and enlighten. To bring to the forefront retailers whom I,ve worked who shaped my opinions and taught me the skills which I will pass on to my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment